Internship Positions and Details
HOW TO APPLY
The Barbershop Harmony Society is pleased to offer a variety of internships to those wishing to experience the inside world of a not-for-profit business.
Because this is an internship, you may discontinue the internship at any time for any reason, and the Barbershop Harmony Society may discontinue the internship for any reason not prohibited by law. There is no guarantee of continuous employment because of your volunteer work with us. As an intern, you will not be a company employee. Therefore, you will not receive a salary, wages, or other compensation. In addition, you will not be eligible for any of the employee benefits that company employees are entitled to, including, but not limited to, health insurance, vacation or sick leave, paid holidays, or participation in the BHS retirement plan. During your internship you may come across confidential business information. By accepting this internship offer, you acknowledge that you must adhere to our confidentiality policy. In addition, upon conclusion of your internship, you must return all company-owned property, equipment, and documents, including electronic mail or other information.
Barbershop Harmony Society Intern Program
The Barbershop Harmony Society Internship Program provides exceptional undergraduate and graduate students from many diverse backgrounds the opportunity to gain practical, challenging and meaningful on-the-job work experience while bringing members together in harmony and fellowship to enrich lives through singing.
Because interns are a vital part of the future of the Barbershop Harmony Society, we strive to provide a hands-on experience that gives a realistic preview of what it is like to work at a non-profit. Through our Internship Program, interns:
- Gain substantial professional experience and exposure to critical issues pertaining to the non-profit sector.
- Develop a comprehensive perspective on the Barbershop Harmony Society mission and program delivery at the local, national and international levels.
- Receive networking, personal and professional development opportunities, including opportunities to meet with Barbershop Harmony Society senior leadership.
Internship opportunities are available in Audio Visual, Convention Coordinator, Membership and Customer Service, Grantseeking, Harmony University, Marketing, Marketplace, Music Publications, Social Impact & Nonprofit Management, and Social Media. Additional opportunities may be added at a later date. Your interest, course of study and the availability of openings determine the possibilities. From the start, interns are challenged to demonstrate their strengths and apply their knowledge to help us achieve our business strategy.
The Four Pillars
Founded in 1938, BHS is the world’s largest all-male singing organization. At the heart of our identity, we preserve and encourage barbershop singing, a uniquely American close harmony musical art form whose roots lie in African-American improvisation and European harmony traditions. While Jimmy Fallon plays the olde-tyme quartet in stripes for fun, we sing barbershop in an explosive, exciting way that is attracting intergenerational singers from all walks of life. Today, the fellowship, fulfillment, and excitement of vocal music is attracting a new generation of singers. Barbershop — called by one respected music industry insider “the black belt of a cappella” — is hot, and we’re the ones who are making it happen.
Today, our focus is on nothing less than creating a better world, singing. We have become a driving force for singing as an asset that changes lives and improves communities. Through the medium of barbershop harmony, our work is built upon four pillars:
- We provide essential services and events that expand, support and celebrate a global community of singer/artists.
- We elevate artistic and leadership skills for this community, through education and best practices, including our signature Harmony University.
- We promote lifelong singing as a core community asset, with a variety of outreach programs and partnerships aimed at singers, youth, and music educators.
- We scale our impact by building a strong, balanced financial platform driven by social enterprises, individual philanthropy, and in the future, institutional philanthropy.
The Right Candidate
- Minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.8/4.0
- Study in program applicable to the internships available
- Full-time student (12 semester hours) who has completed 30 semester hours prior to the start of the internship
- Be legally authorized to work in the United States
- Available to work during normal business hours for the duration of the internship in addition to extended business hours in the month of July due to our International Convention and Harmony University
Volunteering at the Barbershop Harmony Society
As an intern, you will be a volunteer and not be a company employee. Therefore, you will not receive a salary, wages, or other compensation. In addition, you will not be eligible for any of the employee benefits that company employees are entitled to, including, but not limited to, health insurance, vacation or sick leave, paid holidays, or participation in the BHS retirement plan. However, the experience and insights you gain as part of the internship program will be invaluable in your personal and professional development and help support the important and fun mission of the Barbershop Harmony Society.
HOW TO APPLY
The Barbershop Harmony Society is pleased to offer a variety of internships to those wishing to experience the inside world of a not-for-profit business. Interested candidates are invited to submit a letter of interest and résumé.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.
Barbershop Harmony Society
Megan Tankersley, Internship Manager
110 7th Avenue N.
Nashville, TN 37203